New and Noteworthy: Big Sean- "Guap"

With a new album entitled Hall of Fame: Memoirs of a Detroit Player set to release December 18th, Big Sean grants us with a first look entitled "Guap." The tropical-infused hip-hop instrumentals are definitely the highlights of the track, and are courtesy of producers KeY Wayne and Young Chop. On Sean's end I feel like the track is a bit underwhelming. Many of his lyrics seem recycled and rather unoriginal. For example, in listing his various "needs", Sean raps, "My iPhone need a charge/My fish tank need sharks" Well my iPhone needs to charge too Sean...maybe in your next song you can tell everyone how your car needs gas, or how your laundry needs to be done. And a shark tank? I see you've paid a visit to Mr. Carter's House recently... The chorus didn't wow me too much either, but when I thought about the hooks from other Big Sean hits I had to lower my standards; between "Ass [x21]" and "Clique [x15]" I realized I could settle for "see me gettin' guap right now [x9]." Overall I'm not dismissing "Guap" as a disappointment, however I have lofty expectations for Sean's sophomore album.

listen to "Guap": http://www.highsnobiety.com/2012/10/25/music-big-sean-guap/

Comments