Lorelei-"Gallows Hymn"

A few months ago I was turned on to North Carolina's Lorelei and instantly fell in love with their sound, which I suppose I could label as cinematic deathcore. It seems like this brand of synth-laden deathcore had its heyday back in the mid-late 2000s with bands like Winds of Plague (if I'm going to mention any that actually kick ass). But Lorelei prove to be surprisingly capable torch-bearers of a quality that is hard to insert with legitimacy into deathcore these days. Their newest single "Gallows Hymn" sees the band returning with a MASSIVE new sound for nearly eight minutes. The vocals are deeper and more sinister, the guitars are heavier, and the keyboard sections are more elegant and epic. The lyrics are equally as dark and sophisticated too. Chelsea Grin, this is what you guys could sound like if you actually tried! In the YouTube description of the video, the band states that it's their "most ambitious song to date." I totally agree, and I can't wait to see what their next full length will sound like.


Comments